As you may know, FrostWire is a free ad popular BitTorrent client for Linux, which has Media Player and Media Library integrated. As first, it has been a fork of the popular LimeWire, but it has replaced the Gnutella protocol and became a 100% Bittorrent client, permitting the users to share content one with another.
It has a built-in search that permits the users to search on multiple torrent trackers and websites, looking into multiple torrent indexes and presenting results inside the app, has a preview & play while you download feature. Also, its smart search permits the users to listen to SoundCloud tracks while downloading them. The Media library permits everybody to organize and find downloaded files fast and has support for playing the most popular audio and video file formats.
- Faster Download Speeds
- No Spyware. No Adware. Guaranteed.
- Easily filter search results by file type: Music, Video, Images, Applications, Documents, Torrents.
- No artificial limitations on simultaneous downloads.
- No limitations on upload/download speeds.
- Extensive download management options.
- Local Peer Discovery.
- iTunes Compatible!
- Friendly Online Chat Rooms
The latest version available is FrostWire 6.1.9, which brings the below changes:
- New jlibtorrent 188.8.131.52
- Shared maglnk url shortening not done with Bit.ly anymore.
- Library now remembers your last media type selection for the next session.
- New FrostWireInputDialog.
While the latest version is not available in any repository, the project’s website provides the latest version packaged as deb, available for Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Elementary OS, Debian and other DEB-based Linux systems.
To install it on your 32 bit or 64 bit system, you only need to download the package and trigger the package manager. However, in order to avoid dependency issues, we recommend using gdebi, which is not installed by default on Ubuntu, Debian or derivative systems:
$ sudo apt-get install gdebi
$ wget "http://dl7.frostwire.com/frostwire/6.1.9/frostwire-6.1.9.all.deb" -O frostwire.all.deb
$ sudo gdebi frostwire.all.deb
$ rm frostwire.all.deb
Optional, to remove frostwire, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove frostwire
While the software can be easily used to download pirated content, we strongly advice you to use it download only open-source and free software. Our website is not and will never be promoting computer piracy.